Insect stings that most commonly cause allergic reactions:Insects that are members of the Hymenopteran family most commonly cause allergic reactions. These include the following:
- yellow jackets
- fire ants
What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to an insect sting?For most children, when stung by an insect, the reaction is short-lived, with redness and swelling followed by pain and itching. Generally, the reaction lasts only a few hours, although some may last longer. For others, however, allergic reactions to these insect stings can be life threatening. This severe reaction is a medical emergency that can involve organ systems throughout the body. The reaction is called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and can include severe symptoms such as the following:
- itching and hives over most of the body
- swelling of the throat and tongue
- difficulty in breathing and tightness in the chest
- stomach cramps, nausea, or diarrhea
- rapid drop in blood pressure
- loss of consciousness
- hoarse voice or swelling of the tongue
Can insect stings be prevented?Avoidance of insects is the best preventive measure. Suggestions for helping your child avoid insect stings include the following:
- When outdoors, make sure your child is careful of eating or drinking uncovered foods or beverages, which can attract insects.
- Keep your child from going barefoot. He/she should wear closed-toe shoes when walking in grassy areas.
- When playing outdoors, make sure you and your child watch for insect nests in trees, shrubs, and flower beds. Other areas in which to use caution include swimming pools, woodpiles, under eaves of houses, and trash containers.
Treatment for insect stings:Specific treatment for insect stings will be determined by your child's physician based on the following:
- your child's age, overall health, and medical history
- extent of the reaction
- your child's tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
- expectations for the course of the reaction
- your opinion or preference
- When possible, immediately remove the stinger, and scrape over the area with a fingernail. However, do not squeeze the area, which may force the venom into the body.
- An emergency treatment kit should be kept nearby at all times. Consult your child's physician about what it should include.
- Seek emergency care for your child as soon as possible.
The information on this Web page is provided for educational purposes. You understand and agree that this information is not intended to be, and should not be used as, a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. You agree that Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital is not making a diagnosis of your condition or a recommendation about the course of treatment for your particular circumstances through the use of this Web page. You agree to be solely responsible for your use of this Web page and the information contained on this page. Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and information providers shall not be liable for any damages you may suffer or cause through your use of this page even if advised of the possibility of such damages.