What is mold?Mold is a member of the fungus family. It is a branching-type of growth called hyphae. It is rarely destroyed by heat or cold exposure, but remains dormant until a particular season, such as spring or fall, when it grows and thrives.
Where does mold grow?Mold lives in moist conditions where there is oxygen and other chemicals. Places mold may be found most often include the following:
- on dead or dying vegetation
- moist, shady areas
- rotting leaves and logs
- damp basements and closets
- food storage areas
- house plants
- air conditioners and humidifiers
- upholstered furniture
- garbage containers
What is mold allergy?Mold spores or fragments may be inhaled through the nose and into the lungs where they cause allergic reactions or asthma.
Mold may also be eaten in foods, including the following:
- cheeses processed by fungi
- dried fruits
- foods containing yeast
- soy sauce
The information on this Web page is provided for educational purposes. You understand and agree that this information is not intended to be, and should not be used as, a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. You agree that Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital is not making a diagnosis of your condition or a recommendation about the course of treatment for your particular circumstances through the use of this Web page. You agree to be solely responsible for your use of this Web page and the information contained on this page. Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and information providers shall not be liable for any damages you may suffer or cause through your use of this page even if advised of the possibility of such damages.