Pregnancy risk factors include, but are not limited to, the following:
- mother is younger than 18 years old or older than 35
- mother is underweight or overweight for height
- mother has anemia (low red blood cell count) and poor nutrition status
- low socioeconomic status
- previously given birth more than four times
- previous preterm birth (birth before 37 weeks gestation)
- previous birth of a very large or very small baby
- previous pregnancy loss
- family history of genetic disease or previous baby with a birth defect
- substance use (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs)
- pre-existing medical conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease
- infertility medications or treatments (more likely to result in multiple births)
Listed in the directory below, you will find some additional information regarding risk factors for pregnancy, for which we have provided a brief overview.
If you cannot find the information in which you are interested, please visit the High-Risk Pregnancy Online Resources page in this Web site for an Internet/World Wide Web address that may contain additional information on that topic.
Alcohol and Pregnancy
Smoking and Pregnancy
Illegal Drug Use and Pregnancy
Medications and Pregnancy
Medical Conditions and Pregnancy
The information on this Web page is provided for educational purposes. You understand and agree that this information is not intended to be, and should not be used as, a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. You agree that Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital is not making a diagnosis of your condition or a recommendation about the course of treatment for your particular circumstances through the use of this Web page. You agree to be solely responsible for your use of this Web page and the information contained on this page. Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and information providers shall not be liable for any damages you may suffer or cause through your use of this page even if advised of the possibility of such damages.