- Vital signs:
- Temperature - able to maintain stable body temperature 98.6° F (37° C) in normal room environment
- Pulse - normally 120 to160 beats per minute
- Breathing rate - normally 30 to 60 breaths per minute
- General appearance - physical activity, tone, posture, and level of consciousness
- Skin - color, texture, nails, presence of rashes
- Head and neck:
- Appearance, shape, presence of molding (shaping of the head from passage through the birth canal)
- Fontanels (the open "soft spots" between the bones of the baby's skull)
- Clavicles (bones across the upper chest)
- Face - eyes, ears, nose, cheeks. Presence of red reflex in the eyes.
- Mouth - palate, tongue, throat
- Lungs - breath sounds, breathing pattern
- Heart sounds and femoral (in the groin) pulses
- Abdomen - presence of masses or hernias
- Genitals and anus - for open passage of urine and stool
- Nerves - reflexes(Moro reflex), cranial nerves, abnormal (or lack of) movements.
- Arms and legs - movement and development
The information on this Web page is provided for educational purposes. You understand and agree that this information is not intended to be, and should not be used as, a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. You agree that Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital is not making a diagnosis of your condition or a recommendation about the course of treatment for your particular circumstances through the use of this Web page. You agree to be solely responsible for your use of this Web page and the information contained on this page. Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and information providers shall not be liable for any damages you may suffer or cause through your use of this page even if advised of the possibility of such damages.