Falls - Injury Statistics and Incidence Rates
Injury and death rates:
- More than 2.3 million children ages 14 and under are treated annually at hospital emergency rooms for fall-related injuries.
- Recent reports show falls killed about 80 children ages 14 and under in one year.
- More than half of fall-related injuries among children occur among ages five and under.
- About 18 children ages 10 and under die annually from falls from windows. Another 4,700 children ages 14 and under will require treatment each year for window fall-related injuries.
Where and when:
- Infants are more likely to fall from furniture, baby walkers, and stairs.
- Toddlers tend to fall from windows.
- Older children fall more often from playground equipment.
- Children ages 10 and under sustain fall-related injuries twice as often as other children.
- Boys are twice as likely to die from fall-related injuries than girls.
- Playground falls cause more than 200,000 children, ages 14 and under, to require emergency room treatment.
- The most severe playground-related injuries are due to falls (90 percent). One-third of playground-related fatalities are due to falls.
- Children ages four and under tend to suffer injuries to the face and head from playground-related injuries, while older children are more likely to injure arms or hands.
The information on this Web page is provided for educational purposes. You understand and agree that this information is not intended to be, and should not be used as, a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. You agree that Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital is not making a diagnosis of your condition or a recommendation about the course of treatment for your particular circumstances through the use of this Web page. You agree to be solely responsible for your use of this Web page and the information contained on this page. Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and information providers shall not be liable for any damages you may suffer or cause through your use of this page even if advised of the possibility of such damages.