Toy Safety - Injury Statistics and Incidence Rates
Injury and death rates:
- Approximately 217,000 children, ages 14 and under, were treated at hospital emergency rooms for toy-related injuries in 2005. Nearly half of the children treated for these injuries were ages 4 and under.
- Most toy-related injuries do not require hospitalization (97 percent); however, in 2005, 20 children died due to toy-related injuries.
- Injury from non-powered scooters is the leading cause of toy-related death.
- Sixty-four percent of toy-related deaths in 2003 were due to choking. About 71 percent of those deaths were attributed to toy balls.
- Other causes of toy-related deaths include drowning, suffocation, and riding toy accidents (such as when a child is hit by a motor vehicle while riding a toy, or when the child rides a toy into a body of water).
Where, when, and who:
- Riding toys are responsible for the majority of toy injuries among children ages 14 and under.
- Most riding toy-related injuries occur when a child falls from a toy.
- Almost half of all toy-related injuries (47 percent) occur to the head and face area.
- Children under age three are at greater risk for choking on toys than older children, due to their tendency to put everything in their mouths. In addition, the upper airways of children under age three are smaller than those of older children.
The information on this Web page is provided for educational purposes. You understand and agree that this information is not intended to be, and should not be used as, a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. You agree that Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital is not making a diagnosis of your condition or a recommendation about the course of treatment for your particular circumstances through the use of this Web page. You agree to be solely responsible for your use of this Web page and the information contained on this page. Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and information providers shall not be liable for any damages you may suffer or cause through your use of this page even if advised of the possibility of such damages.