Cardiopulmonary Exercise Laboratory
Children’s Heart Center
725 Welch Rd.
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm
|Phone: (650) 721-2121
Cardiopulmonary Exercise Laboratory:
Fax: (650) 497-8422
|Learn more about our exciting hospital expansion by visiting growing.lpch.org
Note that during this expansion, routes to 725 Welch have changed.
What We Do at the Cardiopulmonary Exercise LaboratoryThe Children’s Heart Center’s Cardiopulmonary Exercise Laboratory offers personal programs and services for the evaluation and treatment or prevention of heart and lung disease in children.
We have a state-of-the-art cardiopulmonary (heart-and-lungs) exercise laboratory containing the most innovative and top quality exercise testing equipment. This enables us to accurately measure the activity of your child's heart and circulatory system, metabolism and lungs and pulmonary system.
Our exercise physiologists and physicians offer:
- Cardiopulmonary exercise stress testing – evaluates your child’s heart, lungs and metabolism during strenuous physical activity. The test results tell us what steps, if any, are necessary to make improvements over time.
- Cardiopulmonary exercise-echocardiography stress testing – includes the use of ultrasound to examine the heart
- Pharmacological nuclear exercise stress testing – includes the use of certain medications and nuclear imaging to examine the heart
- Cardiopulmonary bronchial provocation (asthma) testing – evaluates your child’s airway response to strenuous physical activity
- Evaluation for clearance in athletic participation and physical education
- 6-minute walk testing – determines your child’s aerobic capacity and functional status and evaluates disease progression, medical interventions or other therapeutic outcomes
- Academic and clinical research studies
- Exercise counseling, conditioning and programming
- Transplant and pre- and postoperative assessments and evaluations
Referring Health Care ProvidersPlease download this form (PDF) to refer a child to the Cardiopulmonary Exercise Laboratory. Please fax the completed form to (650) 497-8422.
Learn More about Cardiopulmonary Exercise Stress Tests
Cardiopulmonary Exercise Laboratory Team
|Jeffrey Kazmucha, MS, CES, CSCS
Pediatric Exercise Physiologist
|Inger Olson, MD