Your Maternity Unit Stay
725 Welch Road
1st and 2nd Floors
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Your RoomThe Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Maternity Unit has 52 beds that are in private and semi-private rooms. All rooms feature:
- Free wireless Internet access for your laptop or mobile device
- Flat-screen televisions
- Select cable TV channels
- On-demand movies
- Storage space for your belongings
- A place for your partner to rest
Room Service MealsWe provide personalized room service at every meal. You can call to place an order from our full menu. We’ll freshly prepare your meal according to your order, and a room service host will deliver it to your bedside.
A daily afternoon tea and snacks are also served to you and your partner.
You are also welcome to store food or drinks you bring from home in our unit’s patient refrigerators.
Rooming with Your BabyWe encourage you and your baby to participate in Couplet Care – your baby stays at your bedside if there are no medical issues. You and your baby benefit dramatically by remaining as close as possible after birth. Together, you can enjoy:
- Optimal mother-infant bonding
- Personalized care
- Hands-on patient teaching
- Lactation initiation and breastfeeding
What to ExpectYour medical team will visit you and your baby throughout the day so we can address any medical needs or questions you may have.
- Daily medical rounds. Your health care team will come and check on you as needed.
- Nursing shift changes. Our nurses change shifts at 7 am and 7 pm. Each new nurse will come to talk to you, answer your questions, and conduct a physical assessment on both you and your baby.
- Pain management is an important aspect of our care. Your health care team will assess your pain management needs and develop an individualized plan, as needed.
- Pediatrician. The pediatrician you select will visit you and your baby daily. If you have not selected a pediatrician, a Packard Children’s Hospital pediatrician will visit.