A Typical General Obstetrics Clinic Visit
Phone: (650) 498-4069
Fax: (650) 498-2583
Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pmYour obstetrics provider will see you in the General Obstetrics Clinic on a regular basis. These visits allow the provider to monitor the health of both you and your baby.
Your partner is always welcome to come to your clinic visits.
Your first General Obstetrics Clinic visit is slightly different than your regular visits, described below. If you are a high-risk obstetrics patient, please visit the high-risk obstetrics page.
What to BringPlease bring the following items to all of your clinic visits:
- List of medications you are taking
- Questions for your physician, midwife or nurse practitioner
- When you enter the Obstetrics Clinic, please inform the front desk that you have arrived.
- You will be asked to provide a urine sample. We are checking to see that you do not have excess protein or sugar, or signs of an infection in your urine. These could indicate pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes or a urinary tract infection.
- We will take your blood pressure and weigh you.
ExaminationOnce you are in an exam room, your provider will:
- Review your medical history and urine sample results
- View and/or listen to the baby’s heart beat
- Measure the size of your uterus, if necessary, after 20 weeks of pregnancy
- Make sure you are doing everything possible to keep you and your baby healthy
- Answer your questions
- Schedule prenatal testing and future appointments
Part of Lucile Packard Children's Hospital mission as a teaching hospital is to train health care providers. In addition to seeing your provider during your clinic visits, you may also meet:
- OB/GYN residents - Licensed physicians who work closely with our attending physicians to continue their medical training in obstetrics and gynecology. After completing their four years of residency, they are certified as OB/GYN generalists.
- Medical students – Students studying to become doctors.
- Nursing students – Students studying to become nurses.
Please note that we cannot honor requests to exclude male or female physicians from seeing you during your clinic visits.
Frequency of Visits
|When you are...
||...you will visit the clinic
|1-7 months pregnant
||Once a month
|7-9 months pregnant
||Every two weeks
|9 months pregnant-delivery
|<< Your First Clinic Visit|