Lucile Packard Children's Hospital utilizes the Common Child Life Internship Application and follows the deadlines set forth by the Child Life Council. Please visit the Child Life Council Web site at http://www.childlife.org. Recreation Therapy students should also use the Child Life Internship Application.
Please mail your application and photo to:
Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital @ Stanford
Atten: Recreation Therapy/Child Life Department
725 Welch Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304
Should you have any questions about the application process, please contact Colette Case, Program Director at (650) 497-8295.
Internship CriteriaThe Recreation Therapy / Child Life Department at Packard Children's Hospital provides an intensive twelve to fifteen week internship program for qualified students. The following criteria have been developed to aid in the selection process. Potential interns required to:
- Be enrolled in a university Recreation Therapy or Child Life Program during Internship
- Be enrolled in an Internship Class during Internship
- Be in their senior year or in a graduate degree program and should have university approval to participate in an internship program
- Have experience working with children in a non-hospital or a hospital setting
- Have a working knowledge of Recreation Therapy or Child Life and child/human development theory and practice
- Enjoy children and their families and be sensitive to their needs
- Have the ability to be adaptable and flexible
Job DescriptionSupervision Required:
The Recreation Therapy / Child Life Intern works under the direction of the Director of Recreation Therapy / Child Life and also receives direction from Recreation Therapy I and II personnel assigned to supervise Recreation Therapy / Child Life interns.
The Intern provides direct supervision to Recreation Therapy volunteers and others as required.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Complete a general orientation to the hospital
- Complete general orientation to the Recreation Therapy / Child Life Department
- Observe each therapist's program / unit
- Observe Central Recreation and Preschool programs
- Complete assessments on appropriate patients
- Chart on appropriate patients
- Provide appropriate recreation therapy / child life activities and interventions for patients
- Observe and actively participate in rounds/care conferences
- Plan, carry out and evaluate a special event
- Write and present a case study
- Complete at least two clinical rotations
- Design and complete a major project
- Visit at least two other recreation therapy or child life programs
- Meet with and observe other ancillary service providers
- Complete readings regarding children, families, illnesses, and effects of hospitalization
- Write and discuss items in weekly journal
- Complete a written and pictorial description of a medical procedure
- Meet daily with clinical supervisor and weekly with department supervisor
- A tuberculin test within the past 12 months
- Interns with a positive TB test must show proof of a negative chest x-ray and complete a questionnaire which will be turned in to Employee Health Nurse
- Documented Rubella Titer. If the titer is negative, the student must receive the Rubella vaccine before starting their student placement at Packard Children's Hospital.
Insurance RequirementsStudent Professional Liability Insurance Program
- Intern must provide proof of current individual student professional liability insurance for at least $1,000,000 each incident and $3,000,000 aggregate on or before their first day of internship.
- Insurance may be purchased through:
Professional Insurance Administrators
P.O. Box 94250
Chicago, Illinois 60690
(800) 621-3008 ext. 105
Cost is approximately $35